This post is part of A to Z Challenge for April 2016. For letter M, I am choosing Memories.
A to Z Challenge April 2016: M for Making Memories
Life is just so busy and crazy trying to juggle work and home. So much goes on in a day. Household chores, school drop off, office, meetings, deadlines, school pick up, Bambi’s homework, ‘Parents’ homework’ – send Bambi’s baby pics to school, book week, Victorian day, fill this form, fill that form, confirm attendance for school event/ birthday party so on and so forth. The days are pretty much packed.
Sometimes it can be quite overwhelming. Yesterday was one such day. I had a lot going on at work and it was a hectic and manic day. But then amidst such crazy times there are little sweet moments that bring me joy and happiness. As I was cooking dinner Bambi made a paper aeroplane first, then she drew a little girl and called her Bambi, then she took a cut out of the drawing and pasted it to the paper aeroplane and said she was ready to fly. She then began to fly the paper aeroplane and I cheered for her every time she attempted to fly it very far. I had few turns at flying the plane too. The aeroplane landed on top of the bookshelf, sofa, and toy box and just about anywhere which made us laugh and we had a great time!
Later in the evening I had a bit of reflection. Just by spending few minutes with Bambi I turned from being tired and overwhelmed to a relaxed and happy self. These little moments strengthen my love and brighten my day. So I think I should store such precious memories and let me make a start at that today:
- Wakey Wakey time: Every morning when Bambi wakes up, she starts to call out, “Amma…, Mommy…MommyAmma….’’. She needs me to get her out of the bed. I drop everything else to get to her. Then I make her giggle and laugh by blowing on her tummy. Then I hug her tight and sing, “Meri Billu, Meri Billu, Kinni Soni, Kinni Soni! Essentially this means, my darling how pretty you are! Bambi enjoys it a lot and reciprocates: “Meri Mommy, Meri Mommy, Kinni Soni, Kinni Soni’’. This is simply joyous.
- Running around the house: Lately Bambi has started running around the house or hiding when it is time to dry after a bath or time to drink milk or time to comb her hair. She just loves the idea of having me or Preeth run after her. It is such fun to catch her or spot her from her hideout which by the way is either under the bed or behind the door.
- Laughing: Bambi loves to say/do silly things to make us laugh; just to laugh together. It can be anything like “Apple on top of the banana, banana on top of the head, silly billy shoe etc. She then laughs and waits for us to laugh too.
- Playing games: We play a lot of indoor games together – board games; pop the pig, bunny jump, mouse trap. Not just these, but also hide and seek, chasing each other playing, “On went the Amma through the deep dark wood, Amma saw a Bambi and Bambi looked good’’. Fun never ends and we completely lose account of time.
- Hugs and Kisses: Sometimes when I am caught up in some work and Bambi is playing by herself or watching TV, she comes up to me and goes, “I need a hug”. That just melts my heart. Then there are times when she spontaneously hugs me and kisses me. These are very precious moments!
- Activity Time: Bambi and I spend a lot of time doing arts and crafts which we enjoy thoroughly. Bambi looks forward to the art and craft time and often asks, “What can we make today?” In order to help me finish my other chores to free up my time for activities, Bambi even offers “Can I help you?’’. How sweet is that?
- Cooking and Baking: Bambi absolutely loves baking and we bake at least once a week. She enjoys watching baking videos on you tube with me and every time we start baking she wants me to record it and she goes, “Hi Guys, today we are going to bake a cake. We need a bowl, eggs, some FlaaaaWoor (flour), butter, vineela (vanilla)….’’. She ends the video by saying, “Thanks for watching guys. If you liked my video, don’t forget to scribe (subscribe 🙂) “.
- Reading together: My most favorite moments with Bambi are reading books together. She picks up the books she wants me to read and then plonks herself on my lap. Soon we are both transferred to a different world of imagination. Absolutely precious moment and I wish she never outgrows my lap!
- Story Writing: Whenever we read books, we read aloud the title of the book and “written by and illustrated by’’. Bambi seemingly wants to have a book “written and illustrated by Bambi”. Lately Bambi has begun making her own stories and poems. I love to write them down just as she dictates them. She even comes up with her own titles for her stories. Later it is fun reading aloud her own stories back to her.
- Park time: I love taking Bambi to the park. It is a delight to see her play on the swing, “wooosh..wooosh”, on the slide “Zoom…zoom”, “seesaw …seesaw’’ , rolling down on the hill and falling in my arms. Love it!
- Piggy Back: Almost on all days I take Bambi to bed by giving her a piggy ride. As we do this we sing some silly songs, “Apple Pinkoo, Bambi Shanku, Icky Tuppy, Mucky Puppy, Tummy Tummy, Yummy Yummy, Kummy Kummy. We also stop by the mirror in the living room so Bambi can see what she looks like. She loves it and never wants to get off. “Again…again…”
- Kangaroo Ride: Sometimes Bambi just climbs up to get a hug and then asks to be taken around the house like a Kangaroo. She loves it and so do I.
- Pick up time: Bambi likes me to pick her up from school. When I reach her classroom she drops everything else and comes running to give me a hug. On odd days that I have not been able to pick her up Bambi says, “I really wanted you to pick me up. I was looking for you”. Oh, so sweet!
- Home: When we are at home Bambi likes to be around me. Mommy can go to work only when Bambi goes to school. If Bambi is at home, then Mommy has got to be at home too. It just feels nice to be loved so much.
- Bed time: This is very precious. Even writing about it makes my heart melt. We have a bedtime reading routine after which Bambi gives me lot of kisses, cuddles up with me and begins to suck her thumb. The look on her face then is something I can’t describe. It is one of content, security and peace. As I start the lullabies Bambi slowly drifts off to sleep. I just keep looking at her. Sleeping kids are adorable.
These are the types of moments that I want to store in my memory bag to cherish in the future. These moments are not just about spending time together and having fun but in reality these moments are about making memories; memories to cherish forever.